LED basic knowledge explanation
With their low energy consumption and impressive service life, light-emitting diode (LED) lamps have become leaders in all lighting fields, from industrial to residential. Leds operate in an efficient manner and are often the preferred solution for places looking to save on utility costs. What makes this lighting solution superior? Let's take a look at some LED basics to better understand this popular lighting option.
Leds work differently from most other lighting solutions. While other light sources have filaments that carry energy to convert it into lumens, leds operate without filaments. They also produce less heat and have a better lumen ratio. For example, other types of lighting solutions may convert 80% of energy consumption to heat, while only the remaining 20% of energy may produce actual lighting. Leds use 80% of the energy to produce light. Leds also do not hum and rattle as other types of lights do during operation.
Although many people think of bright white light when they think of LEDs, the color temperature range of LEDs is actually more versatile than other types of solutions. In fact, LEDs were originally used for red warning lights. The color of LEDs can be changed, and now there are many colors, and cool white is still a popular choice. In addition to different color temperature scales, LEDs are a popular choice because the output provides pleasing color rendering. Color rendering index (CRI) can greatly affect the appearance of objects under lighting, which is the basic configuration in commercial lighting. The CRI on the LED easily falls within the 90 CRI range, which is equivalent to excellent color fidelity.
As one of the most enduring options on the market, the LED solution has been praised for its impressive service life. The average life expectancy of LED ranges from 25000 to 100000 hours, of which the most important LED basis is persistence. Not only is the service life longer than most other lighting solutions, but the output quality remains relatively the same. When determining the average life rating, it is usually estimated the number of hours running at full capacity before the lighting level is reduced to half of the lamp. This means that you can achieve an average service life of several hours with high-quality lumen output, resulting in a reliable lighting solution. LED also have a longer life because they are less likely to be broken by overheating because they operate at lower temperatures.